In as little as 7 months, you can receive the skills training you need to advance – or start – your career in business, all 100% online.
Training in the essential principles of business and accounting does more than teach you skills; it also broadens your opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Business and financial skills are not just for business owners or executives, they benefit everyone at any age or stage of their career. Whether you work in a corner office, a non-profit, or a retail shop, understanding basic business and financial principles has many benefits, including:
- Broadening potential job opportunities (including starting your own business)
- Advancing your current career
- Improved employability
- They are applicable to every position, in every industry and field
- A deeper understanding of successful business operations
Business vs. Financial Skills
Business and financial skills are intertwined: finance is an essential aspect of business, and business skills include finance.
To level up your career, it’s important to understand how both areas are valuable to your career trajectory.
You may not be a “numbers person,” but it’s irrefutable that numbers are an essential aspect of business. Even if you don’t want to pursue a career as an Accountant, the ability to understand key financial concepts is invaluable in any position.
Basic business skills can include:
- Business Basics: office, retail or industrial
- Business Functions/Components
- Ethics in business course: explains how to be successful in your company and community
- Customer Service
- Workplace Communications: addresses how to work effectively with coworkers and employees of all levels, types, and personalities
- Branch, Retail, and Department Management: what you need to know if you want to be a supervisor or manager
- Principles for Business Success: educates on how to manage expenses and run a profitable business
- Business Operations Management: covers how to ensure daily tasks and projects are organized and completed successfully
- Computer skills: teaches essential technology and how to automate what you can
Basic financial skills can include:
- Basic Accounting: invoicing and cash management
- QuickBooks: how to track your money
- Payroll Administration: how to do your own payroll
Get a Promotion and/or Accelerate Your Career Path
Training in business and accounting principles demonstrates to prospective employers that you are dedicated to learning and committed to understanding what it takes to run a successful business, at any level of an organization.
For example, if you are applying for a job as an Administrative Assistant and you understand the basics of financial reporting, you will be a significantly more attractive candidate than those who do not.
An understanding of business operations allows you to understand not just the job responsibilities, but how and why these responsibilities add value to an organization.
Training in business and accounting opens more opportunities for potential career paths, whether you want to work at a company, become a freelancer or consultant, or open your own business.
It also allows you to accelerate your existing career path. For example, if you work in retail and have had your eye on a managerial role, a certificate in business and accounting vastly improves your chances of a promotion.
Soft Skills versus Hard Skills
Hard skills are what people typically think of when it comes to training and professional development. They are the demonstrable skills you put on a resume, like knowing Microsoft Office or QuickBooks.
Soft skills are not as straightforward to quantify, such as communication, organizational, and teamwork skills.
Employers put equal value on both, as all the hard skills in the world aren’t worth much if soft skills are not up to par.
A certificate in business principles for training that includes key soft skills is a sure-fire way to show employers that you possess qualities they are likely to seek in a candidate, such as:
- Organizational skills
- The ability to collaborate
- Interpersonal communication
- Strong work ethic
- Problem-solving abilities
Business training in both hard and soft skills show a prospective employer you aren’t simply saying you have these qualities, but that you have been trained in them and value their importance.
Accelerated Business and Accounting Training
Accelerated training in business and accounting can be completed in as little as 28 weeks and set you on a path to success.
Online training allows you to have the flexibility to increase your skills while attending work, family, or other responsibilities. Look for online programs that prioritize collaboration between students and instructors and offer career service support to help you land that job of your dreams once training is complete.